What are Local Citations?
A local citation is best defined as any online mention of a local business’s name, address, or phone number. Citations can occur in many places, including but not limited to:
- Local business directories
- Review sites
- Social media platforms
Not only do citations help users discover local businesses, but they also impact search engine rankings.
The Three Categories of Local Citations
Most local citations fit into one of the following categories:
- Major local business data platforms: The most well-known example is Google My Business, but there are many others, such as Yelp and Facebook, that also fit into this category.
- Industry and geo-specific platforms: While there are local business data platforms that serve every industry across the country or world, others are specific to an industry or location. A common example includes a professional association or a local chamber of commerce website.
The web as a whole: This goes beyond the two categories above, focusing on various publications, such as government databases, news websites, blogs, and maps.
Important Components of a Local Citation
As noted above, the three primary components of a local citation are a company’s name, address, and phone number (often referred to as NAP). However, a citation can also include one or more of the following:
- Link to your company’s website
- Hours of operation
- Alternate phone numbers
- Email address
- Business description
- Business category
Should You Worry About Local Citations?
As a local business, it’s important to focus the appropriate resources on adding and maintaining local citations. Here are two reasons why:
- Useful to your audience: You want your target audience to find all the information they want when searching for your company. The more local citations you have, the more likely this will happen.
- Positive impact on local search engine rankings: Local citations are a must to generate organic traffic from local consumers. In addition to the number of citations, other factors that impact search rankings include the quality of the platforms, the data’s accuracy, and the data’s depth.
If you have any questions about local citations, such as how to get started, don’t hesitate to contact us. We can manage the entire process for you!